It's not JUST about what I had for breakfast...

Friday, July 29, 2011

Friday Wanderings

I headed off to Cowles Mountain this morning to pick up that geocache that I didn't get because I forgot to bring the coordinates (not hyphenating THAT anymore!) that other time.

I made the find, and sat for a while, waiting for my heart to slow down a bit. Took some pics.

Looking back down the hill I just came up. You can see the trail going back up the other way from the ravine way down there.

2011July29 geocaching 002

I saw a camera flash from atop Cowles Mountain, so I took a flash picture right back at them!

2011July29 geocaching 001

And one of me, with my demi-walking stick, for posterity!

2011July29 geocaching 003

I continued up the hill to where the trail joined the main trail, and hung a left.  I continued for a while, then all of a sudden the trail ended!  Whoops, that wasn't the main trail, it was the trail to the view point. So I backtracked until it finally met up with the REAL main trail.  THEN, I hung a left, and headed towards Cowles Mountain. 

I was looking for a multicache, one with a twist.  In the cache are the coordinates for a cache in North Carolina.  You have to partner-up with someone there whose is looking for the companion cache in NC. Their cache has the coordinates for the final cache in San Diego. You exchange coordinates, and everyone is happy!  I made the find, got the coordinates, now I gotta find someone in North Carolina!

I check another cache that I had found in May 2010. I didn't sign the log then, as it was missing. The log, that is. Actually, the whole cache container (back then) was strewn, STREWN, I tells yah, along the trail. I put it back together, but I didn't have a log sheet to put in. So this time, I signed the log. Gotta keep the paperwork up-to-date, you know!

Coming down from Cowles Mountain peak I took a picture, on maximum tele-photo, of the my vehicle parked WAY down there, parked near the Barker Way trailhead.

2011July29 geocaching 004


Lastly, the rangers have put up this rather nifty thing for bikers going down the Big Rock trail.. You grab a bell from the box before you go down, then drop it off in a box at the bottom.

2011July29 geocaching 006

Well, that was about it. I headed on down the road, and then home.

STATS: 

Geocaches found: 1
Waypoints found: 1
Old logs signed: 1
Water bottles consumed: 1

1 comment:

boodles said...

What part of North Carolina? I know someone there, a few people actually...

Search This Blog

About Me

Blog Archive

Followers