It's not JUST about what I had for breakfast...

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Other Day

Sunday morning, at 2 A.M.,  I was awakened by the dulcet sounds of "The Boys Are Back In Town", as performed by Thin Lizzy, blasting from the house next door. Not sure if Richard or his tenants, though. Oh, and accompanied by singing.  Just that one song, then it went relatively quiet.

And this is why I hate classic rock!

No, just classic rock radio stations. They tend to play the same stuff over and over and over, ad nauseam.



All this morning I worked on a spreadsheet solution to the vexing problem of figuring out how many of the Mission Trails Regional Park geocaches I have found. There are nearly four hundred on the current list. You get a prize when you have found them all!  

Not really, what you get is your name on a list. A very EXCLUSIVE list!

Anyway, I read about conditional formatting and copied the author's technique that highlights the items in one column that re not found in the other.  And so I compared The List with my list of caches found.  I been doing this manually, and it's a LOT of eye-straining work. The comparison showed me that I had not marked two caches found on the list. A little calculation (probably incorrect) told me I have found 90.8% of the caches.



I spent A LOT of time trying to make the formula work in this document, when I had it working just fine in a practice document.  After half an hour I figured out that I was referencing an empty column...
 
I also found out that a component of Open Office, soffice.bin, doesn't always quit when you exit the program. And that stops you from firing up Calc again.  I keep having to off it in Windows Task Manager.

No comments:

Search This Blog

About Me

Blog Archive

Followers