It's not JUST about what I had for breakfast...

Saturday, February 14, 2015

Up In Poway

Off to the North County this morning.  Well, it's north of ME!

I solved a short multi-cache and so made the hike up a ridge to make the find, which I eventually did.  A nice view to be seen, too.  That would be Mt. Woodson up there, I guess.

(Warning: File size: 969KB)


I am normally a very law-abiding citizen, but there was no one around to pat me on the back so I sneaked an illegally parking spot for a few minutes to find my second cache.



Another change of parking, this time in a lot, and off to follow the service road up a steep hill to a water tower, almost.  The view was even better than the ridge, it is OF the ridge I was on earlier!



Someone had been placing cute little figures in the caches, I noticed.  When I pulled the log sheet out of my fourth find something dark came popping out, I thought it was a bug or a spider. Yikes!  No, it was just this little guy. 


Certain area of Poway have these solar-powered blinking stop signs, a very eye-catching device.  This one seems unnecessary, because, as you can see, the road is completely blocked off to traffic, the other end being a cul-de-sac.


I am completely impressed with myself for having caught the LEDs lit in my first image (of five!).

After walking around quite a bit more I walked back to the vehicle and drove to Costco, where I had lunch, consisting of a hot dog (with a diet soda), and a chicken bake.  Either of which would have been a meal, I'm sure.  I'm a bit afraid to check the carb count on that bake!


I intended to go for more caches in and around the Costco area, but it was just tol busy and I was getting tired.  Carb overload?  So I drove home.  But Poway is in the position of being right in the middle of the top of a big block of no roads south, so I had the choice of going via Miramar or Lakeside.  I chose Lakeside.  A little less freeway to deal with.

Which I used to visit Slaughterhouse Canyon Road, with its one cache.  Which I found, after reading the hint.  As it turned out I had already handled the item and discounted it as being the cache. This sounds oddly familiar... Anyway, I wonder where the street name came from?*

I found eleven caches and walked 4.3 miles today.

On the way home I was listening to a public radio show where a woman was talking about her trouble finding "the one", someone she wanted to marry.  And, that wanted to marry her.  It made me think how lucky I was to have TWO women in my short dating career that loved me very much, unfortunately at the same time, and so I was ordered to make a decision.  I made the decision and, while it could have gone either way at the time, I've not regretted it.

And I think that is it for this St. Valentine's Day.


*The Lakeside Historical Society newsletter for July 2000 has an article that mentions where the street name came from.  The article also mentions the Denlinger dairy in El Monte Valley.

No comments:

Search This Blog

About Me

Blog Archive

Followers