It's not JUST about what I had for breakfast...

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Plugged In

The telephone guy came out to our work site today to see why the phone wasn't working in our tiny storage room. It used to. Eventually he figured out that the computer guy that had been out the other day had disconnected the phone in the network cabinet when he was tidying things up and replacing cables. While he was working on the phone I noticed Horizon stopped working, but I thought it was just because I had a big data thing going on. Then the internet stopped working. Then the patrons starting complaing that the internet wasn't working on the Macs. I told the phone guy, but he said he didn't do anything to the network. Well, he showed me what he did to get the phone working, then he had to go. I went over to the main office to see if they were up, and they weren't having any problems. I told the Data Tech. (Steph.) what the deal was, so she came right over. She checked the routers, checked to see if we had rebooted, then called *T*h*e* *H*e*l*p* *D*e*s*k*. They couldn't think of anything, so a Service Request was filed. I suggested I show Steph. what the phone guy had done, in case I wasn't there when the repair guy came. We looked in the cabinet, checked the power connections. Everything was plugged in (remember this point). Steph. noticed three power cords that were plugged in the outlets, but not connected to anything. I remarked those must have been from the routers that the network guy had changed out the other day, he must have forgotten to pull the plugs, as it were. It's a very messy cabinet. I noted one of the routers had no blinkies, looked in back, saw its power cable was not plugged in, and was rather short. It looked like the network guy had carefully taken up the slack with a velco wrap, but took up too much slack, so when the phone guy opened the cabinet the power plug popped out, but the phone guy didn't notice it!

Paragraph.

So then we went out to check the computers. No joy. Went back to the cabinet. Noticed that the blickie-box for the Optical cable/interchange whatever was unlit. Checked the back, yah, the power cable is unplugged and way too short. Fixed it. Now we got power, and eventually we got network.

Steph. cancels work order. I finish fixing my data screwups.

Later I got an e-mail from Vick. saying she was going to e-mail us that Horizon had gone down, but by the time she got teh e-mail written it was back up again.

No comments:

Search This Blog

About Me

Blog Archive

Followers