It's not JUST about what I had for breakfast...

Friday, August 25, 2017

The Trip: Day Two

Here we got Day Two of the Eclipse Trip, St. George, Utah, to Snowville, Utah, or thereabouts.

Bright and semi-early, after breakfast at the motel, we headed over to my main objective, a geocache near this concrete arrow.  Link to Wikipedia article.




These pictures are bit out of order.  A view down the cliff. I had to go down there a bit to find the geocache, which fortunately had an accurate hint on where it was.  'Cause I was extremely nervous.  Without the hint I would not have even tried.  While the cliff is a sheer drop, getting to the cache isn't THAT bad, but don't slip!!!



No, we did NOT come up the cliff, there is a street on the less steep/bluff side.  We walked a bit up hill to a water tank, and the arrow is on the other side of that.  Here is a web page about this particular arrow.

That is the Virgin River meandering around down there.


Yeah, well, nice view. 

We saw a house maybe a mile north, right on the edge of the cliff.  Suppose to be a real friendly guy that lives there.  Looks like quite a house, too.  Here is a link about a visit to the house.  Maybe next time, for me!  Whups, the end of the article has an update that Dr. Creed passed away in 2015.  I wonder who owns it now?


The monument very nicely explains what the heck this is.



Yup, the back end of the arrow is RIGHT on the edge!


No, that is NOT a trail going down!

I kept seeing these fence structures that mystified me, so I kept taking pictures.


The best I can figure is that they are to let animals that get caught on the freeway escape back to the wild.  EDIT: Yup, they are wildlife escape ramps.  I am so smart!



Saw this scale at some place we stopped.  The lady who came out of the bathroom to my left while I was taking the picture didn't look too pleased with me.



Saw this at Costco in Salt Lake City.  I want one!



Saw this at Costco in Salt Lake City.  I want one!



Saw this at Costco in Salt Lake City.  I want one!




Saw this at Costco in Salt Lake City.  I do not want one!!



Just interesting.  Water draining, probably condensation from the big freezers holding the lamb carcasses above...




We had Costco pizza for dinner/lunch. It was gone before I could take a picture!


I was maneuvering to take a stealth picture of a guy in a wheel chair that was carrying two somethings that seemed pretty hilarious at the time, but darn if I can remember now, and of course I didn't get the pic.



I took this one to remind me to look up something in Layton (Utah) that I saw along the road.  Well, I tried, but still did not find out what it was.  What it was, was, four small buildings with telephone poles around them.  Explosives storage?  I don't know.  Here is a link to a Google Maps view.


And if that IS Willard Peak area in the next picture, this is probably Willard Bay Reservoir in THIS picture!  Looking to the west from the 15.


This is probably the Willard Peak area to the east of the 15, at around Willard, conveniently enough.


It is 57 miles to Snowville, Utah, but I did not take anymore pictures.  I was very glad to stop at the Flying J Travel Center in Snowville.  We camped a few miles north, in Idaho, at the Curlew Campground on the Stone Reservoir.

That is all for Day Two!


No comments:

Search This Blog

About Me

Blog Archive

Followers