It's not JUST about what I had for breakfast...

Sunday, December 05, 2010

West of the Dump

Got up early and headed out to Santee to deal with the geocaches on the ridge just west of the dump. Access is through Spring Canyon under the Highway 52 bridge. I parked at the Equistrian Staging Area in Mission Trails Regional Park, so it's a bit of a walk just to get started!

I didn't find the geocache under the bridge, so I headed up the canyon. Even though it was still nearly not dawn, there were several people already hiking the trails.

I found a couple of caches in the valley that I didn't get the last time I was here, then headed up a steep trail towards the ridge. There were three caches on said steep trail, one I couldn't find, and two that I did.

When I got to the top I headed north to find the northernmost cache on the ridge. Because of the military installation to the north and west, one has to be careful not to cross 'the line'. To the east you can look down upon the Santee dump. If the wind is just right, you can smell it, too!

The northern-most part of the dump complex.

2010December05 geocaching 003

There is the dump up on the hill. You can see Cowles Mt. in the background.

2010December05 geocaching 002

I headed south along the ridge, finding caches along the way. Tons of fun!

An hour ago I was down there in Spring Canyon.

2010December05 geocaching 005

El Cajon has its normal haze.

2010December05 geocaching 011

You can see forever from up here! Highway52 bridge over Spring Canyon, with Fortuna Mt. in the background.

2010December05 geocaching 012


Here are some examples of geocaches I found today.

A mortar round container makes a nice watertight hide.

2010December05 geocaching 001

Didn't someone sing a song about Blue Bison? Anyone?
This kind of container is called a Bison, after one of the manufacturers.

2010December05 geocaching 006

A camouflaged Altoids tin.

2010December05 geocaching 008

Now that's a nice 'treasure chest'!

2010December05 geocaching 014

Pill bottle hiding under a guy wire cover. Almost missed this one!

2010December05 geocaching 015

Cute gingerbread cookie tin, with lucky horse shoe.

2010December05 geocaching 017

The only wildlife I saw today was two battling bugs. What kind of bugs are they, I ask?

2010December05 geocaching 019

You can see the whole route at Gmaps Pedometer! It claims I walked 6.8 miles. Feels like seven to me!

Don't forget you can usually click the images to see bigger versions!

1 comment:

Matthew Fedder said...

I wonder if those are Cow Killer Ants?

Search This Blog

About Me

Blog Archive

Followers