It's not JUST about what I had for breakfast...

Sunday, September 26, 2010

It's Hot HOt HOT!

Went out to Tierrasanta this morning to do a bit of geocaching. I parked at the trailhead at the east end of Clairemont Mesa Blvd. There is construction going on, so you can only access this on Sunday. I crossed the beautiful rusty metal bridge, finding the cache underneath, then headed up the hill, to the north. I was passed by a lady dog-walker with three large dogs.

I looked for the Evil Micro caches, but couldn't find ANY of them! They are truly EVIL!

I should have looked at the elevation map, there was a lot more up hill and down hill than I expected. I was truly hammered on the way back. But, I digress..

I found Oh! Susannah fairly easily, but as for Monkey's Stairway, I could SEE the stairway, but there was a fence in the way. From the logs, i see, NOW, that there may be a hole in the fence. Or, alternatively, one must parked on the 52 and dash down the hill.

Well, I turned to the east to get the caches along the Shepard Pond Loop Trail.

I was signing the log and taking a picture of the piggie I was going to leave (but it wouldn't fit) when a large German Shepard dog with a red handkerchief came nosing around, and a minute later her (Does that make my "dog" reference incorrect?) people came along, too. I said,
"I guess that isn't a coyote, what with the handkerchief!"

2010JSeptember26 geocaching 002
View towards Tierrasanta, and of the piggie.

The other day, September 19th, there was a fire along the 52, caused by an automobile (of course) . I didn't see any ducks at Shepard Pond, but I found what was left of the geocache.

2010JSeptember26 geocaching 005
The lid is melted, but the log is in there. I left a replacement container with a new log.

By this time I was really hot. I finished my first water bottle, ate an Albertson's Granola Bar, then headed back to the parking spot.

It seemed like a lot more uphill, and sweat kept getting in my eyes. It was very painful! And the uphills were very tiring. The flats were not so bad, of course. Ain't it always the way?

I checked again on of those EVIL cahes, but STILL couldn't find it.

Met a dad taking his small son to see the big steel bridge. I was sitting at the Volcano cache, signing the log, when they came back a few minutes later. The bridge was all they wanted to see.

The parking at this end of the Blvd. is that reverse kind that is bike-friendly.

2010JSeptember26 geocaching 006

I was able to back-in, no problem. And that is saying something! When you pull out, the view of oncoming traffic is much better. I think it is the Way To Go*! UC Davis has an extensive (24 pages PDF format) article on the subject.

It was around 94.9 °F when I got back to the vehicle. I turned the air-conditioning on high, and hit the road!

Gmaps Pedometer link for today's route. It says I walked 5.9339 miles and used 762.9036251262878 calories. How precise can you get?


*The symbol is used herein in a humorous context.

No comments:

Search This Blog

About Me

Blog Archive

Followers