It's not JUST about what I had for breakfast...

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Learn Something Every Day

I was talking to a guy I know who lives near the Great Salt Lake. He was telling me about attending the Golden Spike Celebration Re-enactment at Promontory. Yeah, I said Promontory Point, I remember that from school! I decided to look it up on Google Earth as we talked. Yeah, says I, it's out there on a peninsula, they must have built a bridge out there, or the lake was lower back then. Yeah, I guess he says, sounding a little puzzled. After we signed off, I Googled it and Wikied it.

I was wrong.

Lots of people are wrong.

The whole shebang took place at Promontory SUMMIT, not P. Point! It's 30-some miles away! I found many web pages saying one or the other, but the National Park Service says it's Promontory Summit. Which makes sense, now, when one looks a map.



We went up to Julian on Sunday to look around and have lunch. I had a buffalo burger at Miner's Diner (I think!). It was pretty good. We sat at the front window and watched the traffic go by. There were lot's of motorcycles. I saw two Triumphs, several Ducatis, a couple BMW's, and a bunch of Harleys.

We visited the old jail, and then went over to The Birdwatcher store, which has EVERYTHING in the way of bird feeders, clothes, books, recordings, and other bird-related paraphanalia.

We drove up to Mt. Palomar and visited the obsevitory. We got in just before 4, which is when they start shooing folks out. So we got to look at the telescope for, like 10 seconds. Oh, well, seen it before, and read the book (The Giant Glass Of Palomar, by David Woodbury). Saw lots f speeding motorcycles, looked like fun!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't been to Julian for quite a few years--years before the fire I might add. Never had buffalo before. Isn't it supposed to be really lean? Hey, I remember the Birdwatcher store.

Still not feeling up to par but at least my PCP says my lymph nodes are back to normal. The virus is still working out my system so I'm supposed to take it easy. This is going on week 4 and I'm getting pretty tired of all this.

D.

Deanne said...

It's me! I'm no longer anonymous.

Search This Blog

About Me

Blog Archive

Followers