It's not JUST about what I had for breakfast...

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Thanks to the generosity of Matt I now have a pretty darn fast computer with lots of memory and disk space.  Google Maps no longer takes five (or more) minutes to load a satellite view! Wow!

Here's a picture of Gimli (Son of Gloin), the dog I mentioned the other day over in the bicycle blog. The dog that chewed everything!

Gimli, circa 1976

Cam got him when we lived in the apartments next to the church. She got him at a pet store that used to be near Food Basket on University. She saw him in the window, and just had to have him. A classic impulse purchase!  Of course, living in a two-room apartment didn't work very well, so we moved to a house-behind-a-house in El Cajon, where this picture was taken.  I was trying to grow rhubarb and berry plants in those wire  protectors, by the way. I had hopes of some free rhubarb pie. Didn't work out.

Back in 1970 or so I got a dog named "Asia" from a couple I knew.  When I went off to war my poor mother ended up taking care of her.  Asia was a Shetland Sheepdog, and every so smart.  She was also a very prolific mother.  Her is a picture of one of my many brother with her and her puppies.

Asia with puppies, and one of my brothers, too!



Lastly, we have the White Phantom, a Buick convertible my father let me drive. I can't remember the year or model, 1962 or 63, maybe.  It had a sensor that would automatically dim the high beams, and a very good heater. Eventually reverse went out and I gave it to my brother, effectively abandoning it. As did he.


Hey, it's the same brother! I wonder how old he was when I "gave" him the car... fifteen?  The years, they all run together!

I went geocaching at Lake Murray today, making the find on a puzzle geocache in a very odd container.

I am reading A Tale Of Two Cities, by Charles Dickens.  It is dragging on very slowly. Dickens uses twenty words when one will do, in my opinion. He is certainly no Robert Parker! I quite lose track of what is going on at times, and who various characters are.  I was quite certain, for many pages, that Monsieur Marquis was not the same person on the Monsignor.  I'm going to look online for an outline... Oh, now I see that I was confused about that! Monseigneur was both the person who gave a party (the chocolate episode) and a title of Monsieur Marquis. I think.

Well, that's about it for today!

1 comment:

Deanne said...

Aw, Gimli and Asia & pups were adorable!I love how it looks like Gimli is smiling for the camera. I think you showed me the picture of the White Phantom before. Cool name.

Search This Blog

About Me

Blog Archive

Followers