It's not JUST about what I had for breakfast...

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Sunday Morning In Oak Canyon

I got to the equistrian staging area around 6:30 and headed west. Saw a couple of deer before I passed under the big bridge over Spring Canyon.

2011January23 geocaching 006

Yes, that is one of the deer in question there. It was dark!

I headed up towards the ridge on the west.

The sun was starting to come up, and the moon was in the western sky.

2011January23 geocaching 011

Or maybe the moon was in the south-western sky...

The sun kept rising, as it will, and I saw my shadow across the canyon.

2011January23 geocaching 013

This was much more impressive in person!

I left this little penguin button-badge at this geocache.

2011January23 geocaching 014

I saw another deer--or maybe it was the same one, in Oak Canyon.

2011January23 geocaching 015

I found all the geocaches I was looking for, plus two I had looked for before, EXCEPT this one.

2011January23 geocaching 018

The sign says Federal Property, No Trespassing.

I found THIS geocache rather easily, however!

2011January23 geocaching 019

There was a note from the Military Police inside warning that the military property line was near, and not to cross it. This cache was a few hundred feet north of that sign.

I saw zillions of caterpillars on the move today. This is one!

2011January23 geocaching 020

I wonder what they turn into?

I left this horsie from a bottle of tequila (My boss gave it (the horsie, not the tequila!) to me, I don't drink that stuff? My strength is the strength of ten because my heart is pure.

2011January23 geocaching 021

I liked that star geocache a lot, but this was my favorite geocache of the day!

2011January23 geocaching 022

I took a toy soldier Travel Bug that had been sitting in it for six months. The T.B. was started by a little boy back east who wanted soldiers to take their picture with it, and pass it on. He wants it to visit Mexico, then to come home to him. The T.B. is in the plastic bag next to the cup, FYI. I'll have to find a more active cache to drop it in.

There have been several fires that went through Oak Canyon, including the Cedar Fire of 2003. I noticed this burnt-out tree trunk had rocks inside. I wonder if the tree originally grew over the rocks?

2011January23 geocaching 023

As I labored up the washed-out "road" out of Oak Canyon I stopped at a few more caches. I left a Jeep at one, so whoever found it could ease their labors...

As I headed down the ridge road, backtracking my route, I came upon many fellow walkers (and bicyclists, did I mention all the cyclists I saw today?).

2011January23 geocaching 029

I talked to this family as I passed them. They had come from Mission Trails via Oak Canyon and were now heading back.

I found an SDI Pencil Knife, whatever that is. I haven't a clue what it is for. Sharpening pencils? What is this, 1850?

As I was leaving MTRP I observed a tyke on a bike crossing a small stream at full speed. Trevor, it turned out was his name. I complemented him on his technique.

Did I mention how windy it was? Here is a movie...





Whoops, I see a typo! I am NOT fixing it. Just deal with it!

No comments:

Search This Blog

About Me

Blog Archive

Followers