It's not JUST about what I had for breakfast...

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Crummy Wednesday

Rant? You wanna hear me RANT???

The other day I took the floppy drive out of the IBM at work and stuck it into my computer, the one with the dead floppy drive.  I was trying to copy an olde Quicken from floppy to flash drive. Don't get me started on THAT!

Of course, in sliding the floppy drive out I found it doesn't QUITE clear the CPU fan. So I had to remove the fan.

No clearance!
Now with a bit a spare room to slide!

A silly little quarter of an inch, if that.

I put the IBM back together at work.  It, of course, did not work.  Dead as a doornail!!

I messed with it and messed with it and messed with. Several hours into the messing I happened to push on the battery a little, and the fan started up.  OK, says I, I must have jarred the motherboard battery.  Now we're good!

Oh, no, we are NOT good.  It wasn't booting up.  I pushed on the battery more, and sometimes it would fan up, as it were, and sometimes not. I plugged and unplugged it several times, and eventually it actually started to boot up.  I even got to the login!  Would not accept my password, though. I pulled out the network cable that I had just borrowed from an old printer I don't use.  Blue crud all over the pins!

Yikes!  I cleaned the network socket with water and baking soda (power off, of course!), dried it, and fired it up with a NEW cable.  It now accepted the login and I was flying!

Or maybe not.  When I shut down, it wouldn't restart. Or when it did, it did the F1/F2 thing.  So, I took a look at the startup configuration.  It looked ok, I hit save, and now it SEEMS to be running ok.  We shall see, tomorrow!

We had a LOT of people in using the computer lab. Of course the lab printer started acting up, and it appears it needs a new fuser.  I can't switch ALL the printers to the library printer, it would take FOREVER! So I just switched the flat-screen Macs, they are pretty easy to switch.

Tons of kids had problems using the computers, that sucks up a lot of time.  One student was using Safari and it kept quitting every time he tried to Google something.  I tried to take a look at it, but he was being so obnoxious I finally told him to go find himself another computer, and I left it for another day.

A parent came in wondering why their child had no textbooks. My bad, I ASSUMED they were using ESL textbooks, which I don't handle.  Turns out they need regular textbooks.

Another parent came in inquiring about a report that their child had been hit by another child in the library.  Well, I didn't see it, but it was apparently on my watch, so I feel bad about that.

There were a LOT of noisy and ill-behaved students running around. It's very hard to concentrate on technical problems with so much disruption. So much different than yesterday, a day that was extremely pleasant.

Well, we shall have to see how tomorrow goes!

No comments:

Search This Blog

About Me

Blog Archive

Followers