It's not JUST about what I had for breakfast...

Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Ode

Ran across this while inventorying

Excerpts from: Star-Spangled Ode, by Phyllis McGinley

My country, 'tis to thee and all thy way
I lift my harp in praise.
Land of tall forests, hills, lakes, seas and valleys
Of balmy climes and climates somewhat horrider;
Land of Vermont and Maine and also Florider;
...
For good or for ill, this is my chosen nation,
Home of Joe Louis and the D.A.R.,
Fairs, floods, the Federal Investigation,
And the used car;
...
Of rocking chairs on country porches rocking,
And the slim leg in the superlative stocking.
...
And we have Donald Duck and Pasasmaquoddy,
And more laws than anybody.


Get a copy of This Land Is Mine: An Anthology Of American Verse, edited by Al Hine (Lippincott, c1965), and read the whole thing. Plus a bunch of other nifty poems.

No comments:

Search This Blog

About Me

Blog Archive

Followers