It's not JUST about what I had for breakfast...

Thursday, April 17, 2008

A Solder's Christmas Poem

The title has nothing much to do with this, just another typo on the intarwebs! Click here to see it in situ.

Interesting electrical problem I came across at work.

Someone complained of sparks coming from their computer cart (hold 20 laptops w/chargers).

I didn't do the investigation, I'm just documenting it for you edification.

I observed some arcing on the plug.

2008April117Miscredux 005

Here is the layout of the power distribution system in the cart. Power comes in through the cord, goes through the power switch/circuit breaker, then out to the receptacles in what is probably a spring-grippy sort of thing. I would like to take one apart. The layout looks pretty good.

2008April117Miscredux 002

Let us take a closer look at the power switch. Oh oh!! I don't know where where the sparks were seen, but THIS isn't good! Looks like someone forgot to solder the wires to the power switch/circuit breaker! The wire on the left might even look a little discoloured, or maybe it was tinned, I don't know.

2008April117Miscredux 003

I guess we'll solder the wires to the power switch, and give it the ol' smoke test!

Later!

2 comments:

Industrial Electronics said...

So what happened? Did it work? I got all interested only to find no end to the story. LOL

The Squeaky Cyclist said...

Nothing to report yet, the designated solderer was busy with other tasks today. Errant children were rampant!

Search This Blog

About Me

Blog Archive

Followers