It's not JUST about what I had for breakfast...

Tuesday, February 12, 2013


I was looking at the Building The Funicular page on the Cliffhanger (model railroad) website and ran across the this phrase (italics mine) "The next step was to convert the track to baulkway which is typical of funiculars."  What the heck is a baulkway?  

The Merriam-Webster Dictionary says a balk (baulk being a British variant of balk) is "a ridge of land left unplowed as a dividing line or through carelessness."  The Wikepedia article Red Moss, Greater Manchester, says "Baulkways, strips of higher land..."  So it might seem that baulkway is another, possibly British, word for roadbed.  Although there were only sixty-seven hits on Google!

No comments:

Search This Blog

About Me

Blog Archive