It's not JUST about what I had for breakfast...

Tuesday, February 01, 2011

I Don't Get Out Much

A list of books I read in January of 2011:

Bosch, Pseudonymous
If You're Reading This, It's Too Late
The further adventures of Cass and Max-Ernest thwarting the plans of the nefarious Masters Of The Midnight Sun in their search for the homunculus Mr. Cabbage Face.

Bosch, Pseudonymous
This Book Is Not Good For You
Cass and her friends investigate a plot to discover The Secret using chocolate.

Cornwell, Patricia
Port Mortuary
In which we learn a lot about Scarpetta's past in the Air Force. Also, more of how she can't run an organization. Read in one day.

Eland, Lindsay
Scones And Sensibility
Polly is quite obsessed with Anne Of Green Gables and Pride And Prejudice. She tries to manipulate everyone's love life, to great disaster.

Fitzgerald, F. Scott
The Great Gatsby
I only read this because of a referential quote in Painted Ladies by Robert B. Parker. I missed have missed the quote when I read it, though. The story is ok, but I keep picturing Robert Redford speaking as Gatsby. I found The Text Of The Great Gatsby section, by Matthew J. Bruccoli, very informative about textual errors and the editing and un-editing of them.

Gash, Jonathan
The Great California Game
Lovejoy ends up in New York after his Hong Kong adventure. Then on to California. He seems a bit bedazzled by American food and slang.

Harrison, Kim
Pale Demon
Rachel has to travel to San Francisco to proclaim her innocence for using black magic.

Ok, I admit it, I started reading this because of the jacket illustration. Ir you know what I mean...

I wanted to stop reading around twenty, but I kept on reading and stuck it out to the end. Part of the problem is I am not really interested in witchy stuff. I got interested around page two-hundred and ninety-something, at the coven meeting in San Fran.

I think one needs to start with the first book. There was a LOT of background story that I needed to understand who and what was going on. I read the uncorrected proof edition.

Mull, Brandon
Fablehaven
In book one of the series, Kendra and Seth learn their grandfather is caretaker of a refuge for magical beings, most of whom are not very nice.

O'Nan, Stewart
Emily, Alone
I enjoyed reading this recounting of the daily life of an elderly woman. There were no spaceships or battles, (it is not science-fiction!) just an old lady, a classy lady, examining the meaning of her life as events unfold. To be published March 2011, read the advance uncorrected proof.

Reeve, Philip
A Darkling Plain
Fourth book in the Mortal Engines, or whatever they call it, series. I wept at the ending. Twice.

Reeve, Philip
Infernal Devices
Book three of the Mortal Engines series. I was half-way through book four when this come in at the library. And I was lost. I recommend reading them in order, and not waiting YEARS between books. Get the cast of characters from Wikipedia, too. I'm a lot of trouble remembering who is who.

Sachar, Louis
There's A Boy In The Girl's Bathroom!
I read this because a student said it was not like she expected, and it was really good. It IS really good. I weeped at the end.

Sepetys, Ruta
Between Shades Of Gray
In WWII Lithuania, teen Lina and her family are deported to Siberia by the Russians who have invaded her country. A very moving story, easily read, and it will go on my latent list of "So Cold" books! Two maps! Read the Advanced Uncorrected Galley.

Wilks, Mike
Mirrorscape
In a world where the privilege to use color must be purchased as a "Pleasure" (and there are many other "Pleasures" one must purchase, too), a young apprentice artists discovers a secret world in paintings that he can enter into. First of a series, good stuff!

1 comment:

Deanne said...

Thanks for the book reviews. Might try a few.

Search This Blog

About Me

Blog Archive

Followers