It's not JUST about what I had for breakfast...

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

This and That

First, the latest sunflower picture.

How many sunflowers can you find?

2008July15 Misc CROPPED 001

Now, some model railroad stuff.

I believe this is a Dyna Models haberdashery or shoe store. Many of the glue joints have let go. It was assembled with Ambroid glue, you can see where it caused the paint or wood to change color. Or something. My grandfather built this in the 50s. The top of one of the end walls is missing. That is one reason the roof is so crooked.

2008July08Habidasher 005

In my attempt to rehabilitate it, I took off the surely-patented Dyna plastic roof and cleaned off MOST of the Walther's Goo, using lacquer thinner and and brass wire brush. It took a long time, and was not entirely successful. This is about halfway through the job.

2008July15 Misc 002

This is pretty much what it is going to look like, finished. It's now a bicycle shop! Imagine that!
I think the roof is not really crooked, I think (I HOPE) that it just isn't seated completely.

2008July16 Train Stuff 001

A close up, showing how little I did. I guess grandpa painted it after assembling it. Boy, that Ambroid glue really soaked into the wood and affected the paint! I am hoping that when I hit it with some Dullcote, that sheen from the glue will disappear.

2008July16 Train Stuff 003

The whole top side of this wall was broken off and disappeared, so I had to replace it. I also got new plastic windows to replace the missing metal ones. The replacement siding is not clapboard, but scribed, but you can't REALLY tell the difference!

2008July16 Train Stuff 002

Looking through the window we see the poster hanging on the wall, and the door that really needs more frame around it! Poster and all signs are from the telephone book.

2008July16 Train Stuff 005

Through the other window. That Schwinn sign looked better when not so enlarged!
I intend to get some bicycles to display in the window and inside.

2008July16 Train Stuff 006

Things I should have done differently:
  • Should have disassembled EVERYTHING!
  • Should have squared-up the walls a bit more carefully
  • Should have replaced warped floor (from being mounted in wet plaster)
  • Should have then painted everything properly.
Woulda coulda shoulda!

I decided on a business and made a sign for the container office. That white window glazing is not so effective, I'm thinking. I'm going to get some heavy equipment, like a bulldozer, to display outside the office. The model was inspired by this one, which looks so much nicer, plus it's only half as long. Mine still needs an air conditioner.

2008July16 Train Stuff 007

This HO scale farmhouse was built by my grandfather, back in the 50s. I believe it was a Revell kit. Looks a bit worse for wear!

2008July08FarmHouse 006

That's about it for now!

No comments:

Search This Blog

About Me

Blog Archive

Followers