It's not JUST about what I had for breakfast...

Monday, December 31, 2007

Of Earl, And Change

I manned up and took the vehicle to the local Ford dealership to get its 3,000 mile oil change (at 3,800 miles). This is its THIRD oil change, so don't think badly of me!

What do you get for your 27 (and change) bucks from Ford?
  • Oil
  • Filter (I hope, I didn't ask)
  • Peace of mind
If you want the multi-point inspection, it's $18.00 more. I declined the suggestion tire rotation, it's not due till 5,000 miles, and that could be another year. At least! The cashier gave me a card for a free oil change after five paid ones. W00t!

What do you get at Jiffylube?
  • Oil
  • Oil filter
  • Visual inspection
  • Vacuum interior floors
  • Clean exterior of windows
  • Lubricate the chassis (when applicable)
  • Check tire pressure
  • Check and top off fluids
  • Scary rumours
I don't know how much it costs, but I don't think it's any more than Ford. But they have had so much bad press, I'm scared to go there! I know people who do, with no problems, but, STILL...

What do you get from Factory Tire Automotive Services on Convoy St.?
  • With synthetic blend oil. Up to 5 quarts 5W-30 oil.
  • New oil filter
  • 64 point inspection
  • Check fluids
  • Check tire PSI
How much does it cost? $19.95 with a coupon in the San Diego Reader.

So, DO you get what you pay for? Should I fork out the 18 bucks to get the windshield wiper fluid topped up?

I have never opened the hood on the vehicle.

This, from a guy who replaced the piston rings on ONE cylinder of a V-8.

This, from a guy who split the cases on a Hodaka to get to the transmission.

This, from a guy who pulled the engine on the Cortina TWICE to replace the clutch.

How sad is that?

1 comment:

Matthew Fedder said...

As an added bonus, if you come up to Convoy, you can visit me!

Search This Blog

About Me

Blog Archive

Followers