It's not JUST about what I had for breakfast...

Saturday, December 29, 2018

BACK TO PENNY PINES

On the 28th (a Friday) I made the decision to head to the mountains to try a little geocaching in the snow, so as to bond with my northern geo-brethren a bit more.  I headed to Penny Pines as I had decided to go up that one hill that Matt and I had decided NOT to go up a couple of weeks ago.

I had seen some snow from the vehicle as I drove into the area, and shot a little video of it. Maybe I'll stick it in here.  It's already on the Fb.

This was the first snow I saw while hiking.


I prepared for the cold by wearing, for the first time, some long underwear I purchased over a year ago.  I forgot to bring any warm gloves, so I wore my orange mechanic's glove.  Better than nothing! I wore my blue Turtle Fur hat, of course.

This is a geocache that was on top of the one hill, where there wasn't any snow, except for this tiny little bit.



Here is a panorama from the peak of that one hill. You can see the desert out there, and the Sunset Highway off to one side.



After coming down from that one hill I got in the vehicle and drove down the Highway a bit to the next pull-out.  From there I hiked up the Garnet Peak trail for a ways. Finding a couple of caches, and some patches of snow.


I thought this was a pretty picture, except for my glove there.



This is on the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) looking down onto the desert below.  A LONG way below.



I did not go up Garnet Peak, instead I went to a lower peak nearby where there was a cache.  Here is the log book, blurred, held up with Garnet Peak in the background.


And then I headed home via Cuyamaca highway.

Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Search This Blog

About Me

Blog Archive

Followers